THE LAGOS CITY CHIC GUIDE TO GETTING RID OF ACNE WITHOUT USING CHEMICALS.7:46 pm
Written by Ota Akhigbe
Acne is a common skin condition that causes a lot of pimples and other skin problems. Most of us have experienced this, at least once, especially when we were teenagers. Almost all teenage girls and boys will have some form of acne breakout during their adolescent years. We all know that very uncomfortable situation where you are supposed to go on a date with that gorgeous boy you had a crush on in secondary school and a few days before, you notice you have pimples all over your face.
Acne is caused by clogged pores (also called hair follicles), which are small openings in the skin through which hair grows. Having acne can be very frustrating. Acne commonly occurs on the face, chest and back.
Here are a few tips to help the Lagos City Chic clear her acne without the use of medications or chemicals:
· Wash your skin twice a day (morning and before bed) with a mild soap-free cleanser such as Black Opal Complexion Bar, SheaMoisture African Black Facial Wash & Scrub and Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash.
· Apply herbal toothpaste on the affected area (avoid gel toothpaste). Press out a small quantity of the paste and leave it on the pimples overnight (this helps to dry out the pimples).
· Wash your face after you exercise as oil builds up and can clog pores.
· Use baking soda.
· Wash your face well after you come in contact with oils or grease such as working in a fast food restaurant or after been in a commercial bus or taxi for a long period of time.
· Use lemon juice.
· Wash your hands before touching or rubbing your face and try not to rest your chin, cheek or forehead on your hand. Imagine all the things you may have touched while going about your daily business. Make a conscious effort to break this habit of touching your face with unwashed hands.
· Use honey. Use a clean cotton cloth to apply honey on the affected area. Leave for 30 minutes and then wash off with lukewarm water.
· Don’t scrub your face or use harsh bar soaps. Acne can’t be scrubbed away. Scrubbing can actually make acne worse.
· Use Ice.
· Do not use moisturizers or sunscreens that have oil in them. Look for a label that says “oil free” and make sure to use a “facial” moisturizer (not a “body” moisturizer).
· Use Cucumbers. Cucumbers have high water content and are rich in vitamins A, C and E (which replenishes the skin). Peel and slice properly refrigerated cucumber or slice cucumber and soak in water for an hour (the soaking will enable the potassium and vitamins to be transfer to the water, you can drink the water or use the water to wash your face). You can also make a face mask with the cucumber by blending with little or no water. Apply all over the face and leave for 20minutes. Wash off with warm water afterwards.
· Finally, and most importantly, have a healthy diet rich in vegetables, whole grains and fruits which help to metabolize and suppress the junk food which forces out acne.
Different skin types respond differently, stop remedy immediately if your skin reacts to any of the above tips.